Race Date, Time and Location: Saturday May 4, 2019. Race starts at 1 p.m. at Maliko Gulch. Check-in and registration opens at 10 a.m. Shuttle services will be offered by Maliko Shuttle. Please contact them directly to reserve and pay for your spot: www.malikoshuttle.com. Spaces are limited.
Race is open to paddle disciplines in: Stand-up Paddle, OC1, OC2, OC6, Surf Ski and Prone Paddleboard. NEW Hydrofoil SUP and Laser Sailboat classes added in 2017 too!
Race Course: The race starts at Maliko Gulch and follows Maui’s North Shore to Kahului Harbor. The downwind race is just about 9 miles. The actual finish line is on the beach directly fronting Hawaiian Canoe Club. Contestants will jump off their board or canoe and run through the shoot to complete the race.
Eligibility: Open to men and women of all ages. Racers under 18-years of age must have their parent/legal guardian sign their waiver and liabilities form. We reserve the right to refuse participation to entrants for any reason we deem necessary.
Awards: Paddle Imua is a fun race that benefits a worthy cause. Awards will only be given out to the top three overall division winners for each gender. Awards are NOT given out in age divisions but times will be posted. PRIZES will be awarded to the top individual fundraisers. For more info on prizes and fundraising, visit our PRIZES page.
- Online Early Registration – $55
- Race Day Registration – $75 –starting at 10am at Maliko Gulch. CASH & CHECKS ONLY ON RACE DAY! *** ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSES 5/3/19 ***
All entry fees will directly benefit the Camp Imua Program!
- In an effort to provide every one of our participants with a safe downwinder, the staggered start will be incorporated in Paddle Imua 2019.
- Participants are assigned to a heat based on the projected category type, as well as finishing time.
- 1:00pm: Heat 1 Start – Stand-Up Paddleboard (All divisions except Hyrdrofoil) and Prone Paddleboard
- 1:10pm: Heat 2 Start (10 minutes after Heat 1) – OC1 and OC2, Surf Ski
- 1:20pm: Heat 3 Start (10 minutes after Heat 2) – Hydrofoil SUP, OC6 and Laser Sailboat
- When the horn blows, the first heat will be released. The rest of the participants will be held further back and at pre-determined intervals (i.e. 10 minute), the next heat will be released.
- All SUP participants are to STAND IN THE WATER next to their board until the horn blows. * Weather permitting
False start will automatically add ONE minute to final time.
10:00am – Check-in begins at Maliko Gulch. All racers will be required to complete and sign a race waiver at check-in if they have not done so already.
12:30pm – Race blessing and mandatory Safety Briefing for all competitors.
1:00pm – First race starts. (staggered water starts in Maliko Gulch)
4:30pm – Race awards and prize-draw .
Ohana Festival Schedule and Events:
1:00pm – Festival begins with music, food, and keiki activities
2:15pm – First racers expected across the line.
1:00-4:00pm – Beer Garden Open
3:45pm: SIC Maui Relay Race
4:30pm- Awards Ceremony
WHAT TO BRING
A leash or whistle is mandatory for all paddlers.
State Approved ID – Anyone wishing to consume alcohol will need to bring a state approved ID to Hawaiian Canoe Club before being allowed entry into the beer garden.
Waiver: All participants must agree to the terms put forth in the race participant waiver and either electronically sign the waiver with each online registration or physically sign the liabilities waiver in person.