GENERAL RACE INFORMATION – PADDLE IMUA
- Race Date and Time: July 17, 2022. Click here to Register Online!
- Race Location and Course: Maliko Gulch to Kahului Harbor.
- Race is open to paddle disciplines in: Stand-up Paddle, OC1, OC2, OC6, Surf Ski and Prone Paddleboard (*Note: Due to safety and permitting issues, we are unable to include any foil or sailing classes in the event this year. This includes Foil SUP, Prone Foil, Wing Surfing, and Wind Foil. We hope to bring these disciplines back into Paddle Imua in future years.)
- Eligibility: Open to all ages. Racers under 18 years of age must have their parent/legal guardian sign their waiver and liabilities form. We reserve the right to refuse participation to entrants for any reason we deem necessary.
- Awards: Paddle Imua is a fun race that benefits a worthy cause – helping keiki with special needs in Maui County! Medals will be awarded to the top participants in each category.
- Click Here to Register! Online Registration – $70 – closes July 16, 2022 at 12pm (HST). Day-of registration – $90 – will be available in person at Maliko Gulch.
- All entry fees will directly benefit Camp Imua!
Racers will receive Paddle Imua racer bags, including the official Paddle Imua Racer Tee, Paddle Imua Event T-shirt, and assorted event sponsor swag!
WHAT TO BRING
- Safety equipment (required)
- personal flotation is recommended for all classes
Day-of Event Instructions
- Eligibility and Entry
– SUP (open)
Prone – SUP – HydroFoil
Prone – HydroFoil
- Entry: PaddleImua2022
- While there will be Safety Boats on the racecourse, each participant will be responsible for their individual safety. This is an event in open ocean and participation is at one’s own risk.
- Safety Gear
– PFD recommended
– Leashes mandatory for all classes (OC6/
Windsurf/Sailing excluded: PFD recommended)
– VHF/Cell recommended (Race Channel TBD)
- Changes in Race Instructions
- Any changes will be communicated via text/email provided in registration
- or: Race Briefing (date/time to be announced)
- Saturday, July 16: Race Briefing (TBA)
- Sunday, July 17: at Maliko Gulch
12:55 – First Warning Signal (OC6/Sailing/SUP/Prone/Anything goes)
13:00 – First Start
13:10 – Second Warning Signal (OC1/OC2)
13:15 – Second Start
13:25 – Third Warning Signal (SUP-Hydrofoil/Prone-Hydrofoil/WingFoil/Windsurf
13:30 – Third Start
- Racing will be off the North Shore of Maui from Maliko Gulch to Kahului Harbor
- Click here to view the course in schematic form
- Marks will be inflatable cylinder or tetrahedron (Yellow color)
- Starting Sequence
- Prep – multiple horn sounds (approximately 6 minutes to Start)
- 5 Minute Sequence – one long sound
3 Minutes – 3 sounds
1 Minute – 1 short sound
GO! – 1 long sound
- Start/Finish Lines
- Start Line
a) Paddle Craft will have a downwind start between the Committee Boat and Buoy/Flag near Shore
b) Sailing/Windsurf/Wing will HAVE A REACHING start by passing UPWIND of the Committee boat
- Finish Line
a) The line shall be a chute on the sand at the Hawaiian Canoe Club at Kahului Harbor
- Start Line
- Disclaimer of Liability
- Participants shall enter at their own risk. Neither Imua Family Services, its officers, board members, or any of the organizing bodies, committees or individuals appointed to or volunteering for this event accept any liability for damage, (material or personal) suffered during the event or at any other time. It shall be the sole responsibility of each participant to start or continue in the event.