General Race Information
- Race Date and Time: Saturday May 5, 2018. Registration opens at 10 a.m. at Maliko Gulch. Race starts at 1 p.m.
- Race Location and Course: Check-in at Maliko Gulch. Finish line at Kaului Harbor. Shuttle services will be offered by Moore Watertime’s Maliko Shuttle. Please contact them directly via text to reserve and pay for your spot: www.moorewatertimemaui.com. Spaces are limited.
- Race is open to paddle disciplines in: Stand-up Paddle, OC1, OC2, OC6, Surf Ski and Prone Paddleboard, Hydrofoil SUP and Laser Sailboat.
- Eligibility: Open to men and women of all ages. Racers under 18-years of age must have their parent/legal guardian sign their waiver and liabilities form. We reserve the right to refuse participation to entrants for any reason we deem necessary.
- RACE RULES: Staggered Start:
- In an effort to provide every one of our participants with a safe downwinder, the staggered start will be incorporated in BLUESMITHS Paddle Imua 2018.
- Participants are assigned to a heat based on the projected category type, as well as finishing time.
- 1:00pm: Heat 1 Start – Stand-Up Paddleboard (All divisions) and Prone Paddleboard, Hydrofoil SUP
- 1:10pm: Heat 2 Start (10 minutes after Heat 1) – OC1 and OC2, Surf Ski
- 1:20pm: Heat 3 Start (10 minutes after Heat 2) – OC6 and Laser Sailboat
- When the horn blows, the first heat will be released. The rest of the participants will be held further back and at pre-determined intervals (i.e. 10 minute), the next heat will be released.
- All SUP participants are to STAND IN THE WATER next to their board until the horn blows. * Weather permitting
False start will automatically add ONE minute to final time.
To download a copy of the Paddle Imua 2018 Race Rules, CLICK HERE.
- AWARDS: Paddle Imua is a fun race that benefits a worthy cause – helping special needs keiki in Maui County! Awards will be given out to the top three overall division winners for each gender. Awards are NOT given out in each age divisions, but times will be posted. All racers can qualify to win fundraising PRIZES based on the amount of funds donated/collected in support of their participation in Paddle Imua.
- NEW THIS YEAR! ** Fundraising Prizes will be awarded to the top three overall fundraisers in addition to the Mahalo Prizes below (which all racers can win):
- $50: One race shirt, lunch, swag bag and entry to ‘Ohana Festival.
- $100: All of the above prizes PLUS one event hat
- $150: All of the above PLUS one event water bottle
- Additional fundraising challenges will be sent out via email and posted on social media leading up to the event; MUST be a registered racer to qualify for fundraising prizes.
- Online Early Registration – $50 – Online only. Online registration opens January 1, 2018. Online Early Registration closes May 4, 2018. After May 4, 2018, all registrations will take place on race day, May 5, 2018 at Maliko. ONLY cash and checks will be accepted on Race Day.
- Race Day Registration – $70 –starting at 10am at Maliko Gulch. CASH & CHECKS ONLY ON RACE DAY! *** ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSES 5/4/18 ***
All entry fees will directly benefit the Camp Imua Program!
The first 150 racers to register will receive a Paddle Imua gift bag, as well as the Mahalo Prizes corresponding to the fundraising levels outlined above. All registered racers will be served a delicious meal and receive entry (21+ years) to the beer garden.
10:00am – Check-in begins at Maliko Gulch. All racers will be required to complete and sign a race waiver at check-in if they have not done so already. Racers under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign the race waiver.
12:15pm – Mandatory safety briefing and race blessing for all competitors.
1:00pm – First race starts. (staggered water starts in Maliko Gulch). Additional heat times to be posted.
4:30pm – Race awards and prize-draw at Ohana Festival.
Ohana Festival Schedule and Events:
1:00pm – Keiki Fun begins.
2:15pm – First racers expected across the line.
3:00pm – Food provided for all racers, Beer Garden sponsored by Maui Brewing Company. Food will be available for purchase for spectators.
1:00-4:00pm – Lucky number draw
What to Bring
- A leash or whistle is mandatory for all paddlers.
- State Approved ID – Anyone wishing to consume alcohol will need to bring a state approved ID to Hawaiian Canoe Club before being allowed entry into the beer garden.
- Waiver: All participants must agree to the terms put forth in the race participant waiver and either electronically sign the waiver with each online registration or physically sign the liabilities waiver in person.